23.2.06

Pulmonary Emboli

Today, we went to see the oncologist, (who we didn't actually see but Dad had blood work drawn at the clinic where the DR. does work) and good news, for the most part...his labs were good...Although...his WBC count was a bit high at 19. No symptms of infection that we are aware of...Although he has had this severe shoulder pain. We think he pulled a muscle while pulling back his new compound bow...or we blame it on the IV injection of Zymeta he received on Monday, 1 week ago.
Okay...so we are off for a CT scan at the Hospital now. Dad has been NPO since 1030. Oddly, he gets in right away and the scan takes only about 15 minutes. We have time to eat before the next appointment! We go to Perkins and I have a damn good crispy chicken sandwich there. So much for the diet. Dad gets...as ALWAYS...the 55 plus traveler with extra bacon. Mom gets a plate of seafood the size of my ass. We graze. At 1:30 we leave Perkins and get to our scheduled appointment at the Radiologist, which is at the Cancer Center. We wait approximately 1 hour and then we get in. Dad weighs in at 170 (where he has remained for quite some time). Dr listens to Dad's lungs and pronounces them "clear" which shocks the hell out of me as I could not hear a thing on either side when I listened yesterday. The Dr. also offers Kenolog lotion for the treatment of Dad's radiation burn which has manifested itself on his left scapular area. The area is slightly red and the skin is dry and itchy...otherwise...no problems. The Dr of Radiology now dismisses my Dad and says That's All Folks! And leaves us in the care of our oncologist. We say See Ya! and blast off toward home.
We stop at a grocery store about 40 minutes out of town and stock up on veggies and meat and cheese and fresh fruits.
Finally we get home. I walk in the door and see my son Alec on the phone. I get on, and my hubby says, The Oncologist nurse called and your Dad has small PE in his right lung. He needs Luvonox injections and a PT/INR drawn at the hospital and then he is to start on Coumadin(blood thinner). I stand there with my mouth hanging open thinking...WHY DID THAT BASTARD DR LISTEN TO MY DAD'S LUNGS AND SAY...CLEAR...HOW DOES THAT MAN SLEEP AT NIGHT??!!
I call Mom. She tells me that the oncologists nurse left an answering machine message that states: Larry, according to the radiologist(overread of the CT scan) you have some clots in your right lung and you need to be hospitalized and we will get a bed ready for you at Good Samaritan in Kearney...1 1/2 hours away...where we JUST GOT BACK FROM!!!!!!
Mom and then I talked to Dr. Lewis and she stated that Dad could stay home, rest and take injections and oral blood thinner and that we were to call if he had any increased SOB or pain or blood in this sputum. She stated that Yes, Dad's shoulder pain was indeed related to blood clots in his lung. huh
God
What a day.
I took the lovenox prescription from Mark, gave Dad his sq shot and then went home to give my kid Tylenol, make supper, do dishes and bite fingernails.

Dad's troubles started after that Zymeta infusion. Mom and I both think that is the cause of these clots.

Now...bloodwork on Friday, Monday and Wednesday...it's chemo time again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home